Relocating can be a pretty hefting task, especially moving your items from one place to another. Thanks to the Orange County moving companies, they made this moving task go a bit easy on us. But, we are so often indulged in moving the parts in an arbitrary way that we end up managing the mayhem which adds more to it. We highly recommend lightening your load in a minimalistic way before you pack. Here’s how.
To go minimalistic, get the ball rolling before packing so that you can focus on other important tasks. You might also find some additional items to eliminate while loading up the boxes. When it comes to decluttering, plan by keeping a couple factors in mind: types of things to be eliminated and what are you going to do with them. For instance, when it comes to furniture, you can donate it or resell it for a reasonable price.
The size of your home, the amount of stuff and how long have you been staying in this house will further determine how much time this initial decluttering will consume. Hence, it is important to plan beforehand to avoid the chaos.
Once you have decided what to get rid of, it’s time to sort no matter what item it is.
- Donation pile can have those objects which someone else can use to their own advantage. You can donate your stuff to schools, libraries, community centers, animal shelters, and non-profit organizations etc.
- Recycle pile can have objects that are recyclable like paper, glass, plastics, batteries, electronics, appliances and even crayons.
- Trash pile can have those objects which are of no use to anybody and are not recyclable at all.
Follow the general rules of decluttering
- Don’t keep an item just because you think you should.
- Don’t keep an item that causes you misery.
- Don’t keep an item that is totally useless. You haven’t used it in a year, and won’t probably use in the future too.
But there are times when you simply cannot convince yourself to get rid of those items. You can consider getting rid of those things temporarily. You can consider taking a practice run by keeping these items separate in a box for temporary storage. You do not need to rent a storage unit for the same, just do not bring the box with you to your new home. Or you can also ask a friend to store it with them for a few days or just keep it in the trunk of your car. Keep in mind that letting go of some things doesn’t necessarily means to destroy them, if you think these items can be useful to somebody else, consider to the one in need.
You can also justify by your ways keeping the things you want. But you also need to set some goals on how to manage it. By setting goals and following them helps in turning the task into more of a game and less of a chore.